Big data and Cloud services are hot IT words in these days. Big data and cloud computing are different technical terms in the world of technology and broad in their
meanings and functions. In this rapidly growing age of internet, almost every sector i.e. medical, arts, science, and banking encounters with Big Data management.
Big Data is a word used when information is in the large volume and is difficult to process with traditional database method or using on hand database management tool.Big data might be in Petabytes and exabytes. IBM, HP, and oracle are leading Big Data Management providers.
Whereas cloud computing is a technique to bind all resources of computing under one roof. To know more about Cloud computing you can refer “an overview of Cloud computing and services”. Cloud computing services are just perfect to manage and process of Big Data to discover useful information. Newer data processing Framework called Hadoop uses google cloud services. Input data is processed by Big Data system and is wide spread.
Many questions arise when we overhear about Big Data like Why use big data rather than tradition data analysis? What is the difference between them? What is Big Data analysis? Here, I like to share information about Big Data and tried to clarify it in this article.
Big Data Analytics is a process of examining large amount of data to unlock hidden and useful information about competitor. Gartner analyst Doug Laney introduced the 3Vs concept in a 2001 to analyze Big Data, which are Volume, Velocity, and Variety. We can say that these three V’s defines big Data. They are also helpful to understand the nature of information and available software platforms.
Volume: In Big Data Analytics, Volume represents the amount of Data stored in a structure or nonstructural way. It might be archive data, facebook or any other massive information. It is a primary attribute of data. Most of data are unstructured data.
Velocity: Generally velocity means frequency of data delivery or frequency of data generation. In other words velocity is the speed, at which the data is created, stored, analyze and displayed. For example live cricket streaming, velocity means streaming data coming with any kind of sensors. It will be in any form like video camera which captures specific faces from crowd, in big data age data is created in real –time or near real-time. There are many data generated in a day and stored in data warehouse, but through web log and click-stream, data is processed down in small amount. A big data provider provides a mixture of the data with customer relevant data and analyzes it.
Variety: Big data variety defines various forms of data like structured, numeric data are traditional data and unstructured documents includes email, audio, video, and financial transactions. It is not easy to arrange and make it meaningful.
So, what accomplishment is done by organizations with Big Data? Answer of this question is real big and complex, because cloud computing has limited services types, which suppose to handle large amount of structured or unstructured data.
Advantages of using big data with cloud services:
- Manage Data in Better way: Data will be managed in a better way when you opt for big data management with cloud computing. A big data provider facilitates consumers with abstracted technical layer means allowing to just operating the functionality without knowing technical steps.
- Benefits of Speed and scalability: An organization gets benefits like speed and scalability of cloud storage from Cloud service providers. It lets analyze massive data sets of organization without any hardware requirement configuration or hosting the data internally, second way is when department seems that it will need to process Big data, then it uses big data technologies, which abstracts complexity in processing massive data.
- Visualization of Data: The end user of organization can visualize the data as they can access the chart, infographics, reports of it. Data visualization tools present Big Data in Readable charts, Graphs, and reports. You can model and predict consumer’s behavior by integrating and structuring all the data across blogs, forums and social media platforms and help to cut off competition.
- Revenue Opportunities: if an enterprise deals with Big Data analytics, it creates revenue opportunities because of making and using powerful modules for trends and markets.
- Security of information: With the use of real time Big Data analytics tools, an enterprise can map its data and can detect sensitive information for example credit card information.
- Overcome Maintenance cost: Generally, an organization has to buy much technical equipment according to their requirement, and need to maintain them. Big Data tools allow cutting down, unpractical and costly maintenance. Big Data tools can spot failing grid devices and predict when they will give out, thus, cost effective replacement is possible for utilize equipments.
- Helping with Health care: Data analytics tools helps to decode human genome in moments, and allow predicting and curing diseases as per DNA pattern. We can see many wearable devices and smart watches in these days, which are able to predict health related information. Big Data analysis helps to monitor in developments of epidemics and disease surge.
O’Reilly explores and covers big data analytics and updates; you can catch it on strata.oreilly.com .
Big data conference will be held at three places between month of May and December 2014. It will unlock many questions and provide more light on Big Data and analysis techniques.