About computer network attack and how it is performed is a little complex to understand for the users who does not relate with that field, it been helpful to understand about these in age of internet networking.
Encryption is a Strong Protection against network attack and it secures communication on the web. Though it is a deep field to talk about, the computer network attacks that results in system corruption, failure, crashes and may occur difficulties in business transactions.
Computer Network Attack is an attempt to destroy, steal and gain unauthorized access from web services or network and make unofficial use of information.
Some attacks are passive means in this attack data would be analyzed and monitored to gain authorized information like password and it results in leakage the data files to the attacker without authorization of users .
while some are active attack where data may be altered through worms, viruses or Trojan horse in order to corrupt or destroy information or network itself.
Let’s look at common network attacks:
1. Eavesdropping: Eavesdrop means to listen private conversation secretly as per meaning in Eavesdropping data exposed by the capturing data packets which transforms between computers on network. It’s easy for attackers to find the path of the network when user does not use the encrypted connection. Attacker grab the information from the network, this kind of practice also called sniffing or snooping.
2. Daniel of service (DoS) attack: Daniel of service attack is network attack with intend to prevent the use of the computer and the web services from the authorized users. In this technique attacker sends inoperative data on the network in order to generate traffic, it results in stop the services. Some DoS attacks exploit the limitations of TCP/IP Protocol, like Ping of death and teardrop.
In the ping of death attacker sends IP Packets larger than 64 Kb in size, Attackers take advantage the feature of IP Protocol, they found that packets been segmented at the time of sending, so they flowed the packets on the network, most of operating system can’t response against oversized packets and resulted in crashes, froze or rebooted.
Whereas in teardrop attacker sending data in fragments overlay one another on moderator receipt, so it have been difficult to bind the data for the web servers it causes system crashes because of bug in a TCP/IP re-assembly code.
3. Man in Middle attack: It is an attack in eavesdropping form where attackers steal the private information of users from computer network. Decrypted transformation on server gets high chances of sniffing, user gets any information on the web. Attacker uses the public key of the user and steals private information like credit card number, email addresses etc.
4 IP Spoofing: Every computer system on the internet has ip address that reveals its identification. IP Address spoofing also known as ip address forgery, it is a hijacking technique that highjack the host browser to gain the access of the network, in other words hacker uses the ip address with the purpose of cover the identity of sender or perform as another computer system.
5. Sniffer Attack: sniffer is a device or function that capture data packets on the network and attacker get the important information among them like Password, credit card number ,email address etc., It is a Passive attack and dangerous because attackers can silent and hard to detect. It involves layer1 to Layer7 of OSI layer.
6. DNS (Domain Name System) Spoofing: Domain name system is an organized way of naming computer and services connected to the web or private network. It translates the name in to the IP address because the Domain names are in alphabetical so it is easy to memorize.
DNS spoofing is a computer hijacking technique that hijacks the domain name server and response to the user from fake server. Attacker flows the reports and information to the DNS server and make it poisioned.User can’t understand that the information coming from the real DNS server or False Server.
How to prevent network attacks
It is hard to detect and prevent network attack once virus built and further we does not know the type of virus but we could prevent same if take some actions regarding that.
1. Chang your password frequently to prevent password hacking.
2. Take a backup of important files and programs regularly.
3. Do not open the unknown or spam email without security.
4. Use antivirus program to detect and prevent from the viruses.
5. Uses strong encryption to perform daily transaction on the web when you transfer your personal information, can use SSL (Digital Certificate) which being hard for intruders.
6. Using firewall, it is a machine between your system’s network and internet that filtering the traffic which might be unsafe.
There are various types of network attacks to harm the system one or another way like some attacks intend to theft the information for make money and some to corrupt or control the system or server. So best practice is to use strong encryption or take above steps to detect and prevent computer network attack.
Have a perfect use for the internet networking!